Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Orzo with Chickpeas and Goat Cheese


When it comes to pasta salad, I would rather pass. I love my pasta hot and drenched with sauce and fresh parmesan cheese. However, on these hot summer nights I think a nice big salad is the perfect meal (it also counteracts the extra big bowl of ice cream I eat every night topped with sprinkles). Back to the pasta salad... I think orzo is the only "pasta salad" I would really eat so when I came across this recipe below I decided to try it and add my own spin to it. It was satisfying and a great combination of flavors. I just got fresh oregano from the CSA I am a member of and I was excited to find a recipe to use it in!

1 1/2 cups orzo
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
15-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
1/2 head of lettuce
olive oil
extra lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
Borsari seasoning (original)

Cook orzo in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, stirring occasionally. Drain orzo.


Whisk olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and minced garlic to blend in large serving bowl. Add drained garbanzo beans, cooked orzo, and chopped fresh oregano; toss salad to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Gently stir in crumbled goat cheese. Serve orzo mixture at room temperature over a bed of lettuce (topped with extra drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice and sprinkle of Borsari seasoning).


No comments:

Post a Comment