Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tofu Stacks over Bok Choy



Today I got my fresh veggies from the CSA I joined and came up with the following dish for dinner. After celebrating many birthdays in our family (and some more coming up this month.. mine included) and eating lots of cake, I decided we needed a week of super healthy meals.

1 package of extra firm tofu, drained
1 bunch of bok choy, sliced into 1 inch pieces, separating stems and leaves
1 large tomato, sliced crosswise
1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch rounds
1 garlic cloved, minced
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sesame seeds

Sprinkle eggplant with salt and drain in colander for 20 minutes. Pat dry then brush with olive oil and place on grill pan over medium high heat. Cook about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Slice tofu crosswise into 8 1/2 inch pieces. Place on grill pan (if it is not a nonstick pan add a little olive oil to the pan before adding tofu) and grill until grill marks appear on tofu. Meanwhile in a large saute pan, add sesame oil and sesame seeds over medium high heat. Add bok choy steams and garlic and saute until slightly softened. Add leaves and saute until they start to wilt, serve hot.

To serve, place boy choy in dish then layer on top eggplant, tomato and tofu. Drizzle lightly with soy sauce.


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this recipe Liz. I never cook with tofu. I actually have never eaten tofu. Now that I have seen the movie, Food Inc, I buy all organic meats/chicken or find protein alternatives. Tofu would be a great protein alternative that I have not yet tried. How do the kids like it? I love your blog!
    xoxo,
    Juli Bouvel
    ps--I need help with veggies for the kids. sophie eats everything but the only veggies Austin eats are corn, edamame (does that count?) and artichoke. What are your thoughts on canned/frozen vegetables?

    ReplyDelete