- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup pinot grigio or other light white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely shredded collard greens
- 2 cups finely shredded red swiss chard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cup dried Great Northern beans ( not sure exactly how much I had but was somewhere between 1 and 2 cups)
Prepare the dried beans:
Put beans in a medium sized pot filled with cold water. Bring to a gentle boil for 2 minutes then turn the heat off, cover the pot and allow them to remain in the water for 1 hour. Rinse and drain beans. Put back in pot with new water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour or so, until tender.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add wine, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add greens, thyme, and broth. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until greens are tender. Add beans and serve.