Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dinner Rolls & Kisses- Valentine's Day Style!!



Both of these recipes have been given to me from my family. The rolls (recipe comes from my mother in law) are so easy to make and whenever I make soup or pasta and think we need bread but don't feel like dragging three kids to the store just for a fresh loaf of bread I make these. Last night my kids helped me roll out the dough and we used our heart cookie cutter to make them into Valentine's Day rolls. We had them with spaghetti squash, pasta sauce and meatballs (that were in my freezer made by wonderful mother). Sorry I don't have a picture of the whole dish... it was really good!! I have posted in the past how to make spaghetti squash so you can look that up if you want the recipe.

The kisses come from my grandmother who only makes them at Christmas time. And if you ask her to make more she will say, "You will have to wait until next year!!" Well, lucky for me, I have the recipe!!! So what is better than a pink kiss for valentine's day!!! By adding a touch of red food coloring we turned this Christmas tradition into a Valentine's day treat!

Dinner Rolls
1/2 cup butter (unsalted if you have it)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
1 package yeast
1 egg
3 cups flour ( I always use whole wheat flour but the recipe calls for all-purpose white flour)

Cream butter and sugar then add boiling water. In another cup, add yeast, 1/2 cup luke warm water and a pinch of sugar.

Let boiling water cool, then add egg, yeast mixture, and 3 cups of flour. Mix until sticky. Put a handful of flour on dough, pat it smooth and into a ball and coat the dough with the flour. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it sit for 30 minutes to rise. Roll it out and pinch off pieces to make rolls or use cookie cutters.

Kisses
Preheat oven to 375.

Beat 3 egg whites until they hold soft peaks. SLOWLY, add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 6 oz. of chocolate chips. (And red food coloring if you want).

On parchment lined cookie sheets, drop kisses by spoonful. Turn off oven and put them in for 1 hour or longer.


Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment