Tonight I made this vegetable casserole with tofu topping along side some tilapia that was already seasoned from Whole Foods. The topping was really good! I was out all day but this dish was still very easy to throw together in no time!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 lb cabbage, cored and cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 bunch of kale, stems and center ribs removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 5 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fine fresh or dried bread crumbs
- 7 oz firm tofu
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat oil in a deep 12- to 14-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate and add cabbage, kale, carrots, water, soy sauce, and salt. (Skillet will be full, but volume will reduce as vegetables steam.) Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish.
Pulse all topping ingredients together in a food processor until combined well. Alternatively, mash ingredients together in a large bowl with a potato masher. Sprinkle tofu mixture over vegetables in baking dish and bake, uncovered, until topping is golden brown and vegetables are heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.